India, a country with the second largest population in the world, a country with such large diversity ranging from cultural, fauna and flora, has a l
India, a country with the second largest population in the world, a country with such large diversity ranging from cultural, fauna and flora, has a long history of cannabis and opium use, dates back to Aryans period. Opium use has been given a respect in the context of spirituality by giving the excuse of lord Shiva and his followers. India has some places, where cannabis is grown extensively, for example, Malta in West Bengal, Kasol and Manali in Himachal Pradesh, and some other places too where its presence can easily be felt are Pushkar in Rajasthan, Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh,etc..These are some of the famous places, it’s not that the other cities are untouched, it’s everywhere, it is larger than life as society and especially youth have this kind of assumption.
What is a drug? Why it is becoming popular day-by-day in everybody’s life? Was it not prevalent in old Bharat? Why are youths consuming it despite its harmful effects?These are some of the mysterious questions which come into mind while writing about it.
Drug, is, basically a substance which alters the physiology of the body in the short term and psychology of the mind in the long term. It has various ways of consumption like, Inhaling, Smoking, Absorbing, either directly or indirectly.
Researchers have done several surveys and studies on the drug abuse and its prevalence among Youth and several reasons which can be derived for its huge popularity are:-
- Standard of living has improved,
- Racial and ethnic differences,
- Acts as stress buster as conceived,
- Social, Family, Professional Problems,
- Peer Pressure,
- Available at cheap rates and locally,
- Status symbol,
- Family ritual,
- Anti-social Personality, etc.
This menace is at such a worst stage that no sections of society is left upon, whether it be lower strata or higher strata, everybody has an excuse for the consumption of drugs. Recently, entertainment industry too came up with a message showing extensive use of drugs concentrating in Punjab, which has been in news for quite some time for standing out among all the states for drug abuse.
The problem has become bigger than anybody would have thought, but, as said, “Each problem comes up with a solution”, so, how big this can become there are several ways through which we can achieve a drug free India and world.
- Youths need to come forward and participate in curbing the menace,
- Self-help drive,
- Implementation of policies at right time,
- Attentive police and law system, as due to drug abuse, several cases of rape, sexual harassment, domestic violence, etc. come up ,
- Literacy rate needs to be improved,
- Ban on drugs like cigarettes, pan, bidi, alcohol, cannabis and other syringes related drugs,
- Ban on rave parties, and pubs after a slotted time period,
- Awareness drive,
- Emphasis on healthy food habits,
- Talking about it,i.e. social taboos needs to be talked upon,
- Establishing more and more number of Rehabilitation centres working towards one primary goal- drug free India and World.
So, to be cool, don’t use Drugs, use Mind, as a healthy mind and soul is the need of the hour, not an addicted one.